Officer Complaint

Police Force | Information Center| Services | Forms | Court | Crime Tips 

| Social MediaHistory FirearmsLinksKids Corner | Officer Complaint


Officer Complaints/Internal Affairs

The members of the Riverside Police Department are committed to providing law enforcement services that are fair, effective, and impartially applied.  It is in the best interest of everyone that your complaint about the performance of an individual officer is resolved fairly and promptly.  The Police Department has formal procedures for investigating your complaint.  These procedures ensure fairness and protect the rights of both citizens and law enforcement officers. The Riverside Police Department accepts officer complaints 24/7  in person, in writing, or  by telephone.  You may choose to identify yourself or make your complaint anonymously.  Notification can also be made via email to the Chief of Police  or by calling or emailing the Internal Affairs Supervisor,  Capt. H. David Jaensch at (856)461-8820 ext. 111.  A printable Internal Affairs Complaint packet can be found at the bottom of this page.

  • Your complaint will be sent to a superior officer or a specially trained internal affairs officer who will conduct a thorough and objective investigation.


  • You might be asked to help in the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened or providing other important information.


  • All complaints against law enforcement officers are thoroughly investigated.  You will be advised in writing of the outcome of the investigation.


  • If our investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutor will be notified.  You might be asked to testify in court.


  • If our investigation results in an officer being charged with a violation of department rules, you might be asked to testify in a departmental hearing.


  • If our investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that the officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.


  • All disciplinary hearings shall be closed to the public unless the defendant officer requests an open hearing.


  • It is unlawful to provide information in this matter which you do not believe to be true.


  • You may call the Riverside Police Internal Affairs at (856)461-8820 ext. 111 with any additional information or any questions about the case.



Internal Affairs Complaint Packet

Internal Affairs Complaint Packet                     (printable)